8.0 problems.

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Fri Oct 4 16:19:53 EDT 2002

Hello, list. I just recieved my Red Hat 8.0 boxed set in the mail today, and
much to my surprise speakup is not working.
I wrote the boot.img file to the floppy, restarted and typed the usual
text speakup_synth=dectlk
Then, pressed enter. Nothing happened. The floppy booted an there was
absolutely mno speech.
What is wrong here? I was under the understanding Red Hat comes with
speakup, and this one sure doesn't act like it.
Can anyone render an explaination, and what to try next? My system is not
configured to boot from the rom, and I'm not at all sure what to do at the
moment. Is speakup only usible from the rom?