Dec Talk internal cards supported?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Oct 1 19:32:07 EDT 2002

There is a Dectalk PC driver at
ftp://ftp.leb.net/pub/blinux/dectalk_pc-0.95.tgz that I actually got to
work once.  However, I've since discovered that it won't compile with a
2.4.X kernel.  I had to change one line in the source code to reflect my
base address as set by the dip switches on the card because it was not set
at factory defaults.  It loaded as a kernel module and then you ran a
shell script to load the files from your Dectalk installation disk onto
the card.  In other words, all it did is load the files provided by
Digital into the card under Linux and then created a fake serial port at
/dev/dtpc0 that you could send text through.  It sort of worked with
Emacspeak using its Dectalk Express driver, but spat out a lot of errors
about unrecognized commands because Emacspeak thought it was talking to a
Dectalk express.  So, the driver isn't very useful, but it may be worth
studying to see how it goes about loading drivers onto the card and how it
talks to it.