Dec Talk internal cards supported?

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Tue Oct 1 14:33:22 EDT 2002

Hello all.  There are no dectalk internal boards supported to my
knowledge.  Only the external serial dectalk express and the original
dectalk external synthesizers are supported.  The problem with the
internal isa cards is that they have to have software downloaded onto
the card before they can be used.  Since Speakup is activated and
initialized almost the first thing after the kernel is loaded and
initialized, and before the file system is available, there is at
present no way to have the kernel download the software onto the
internal dectalk boards.  I believe you can use these boards with emacs
speak, but I am not familiar with it, and so can not say.  Making these
dectalk boards usable is on Kirk's to do list, but there are a number of
things that have to happen first, such as the almost complete rewrite of
Speakup to make it usable with the 2.2.5 kernels, and the modularization
of the synthesizer drivers, before a dectalk-pc driver could be written.

Gene