zip speak

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Nov 29 13:07:05 EST 2002

Yes, it's obvious. But it's unwarranted.

There are only two ways you can go wrong. Get these two right, and you
can make all the mistakes in the world and lose nothing, absolutely
nothing. What two things:

1.)	Don't format the wrong disk. You'll get lots of warnings, by
the way, so you would have to be really mindless to miss this one. Pay
attention. The installer will provide all kinds of information about the
available disks. Choose the empty one--the one you've set aside for
Linux. It'll be called something like /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc depending on
how its attached.

2.)	You need to get the boot loader right. Actually, if you miss
this one, it's not the end of the world either, because we can get it
all back easily, especially if you create the emergency boot floppy when
prompted.

I would still suggest you choose lilo, so that you can best setup to get
prompts you can hear during the booting process.

The lilo configuration screen will offer to boot other OS, such as
Windows. It'll probably even spot your Windows partition and give it a
boot label.

The rest doesn't matter. It's a learning process. You'll almost
certainly get something wrong, and that's OK. None of us got it all
right on the first go around. Did you see that part in our HOWTO which
says "your first installation will almost certainly not be your last?"
Tis is exactly what we meant.