Inability to make a audio cd of mp3s

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Nov 24 09:47:06 EST 2002

No, they can't possibly sound better converted from mp3 to wav. It's an
old story, you can't make silk from a sow's ear.

The mp3 format is a compressed format. Aspects of the original recording
have been thrown away in the compression process. That information is
gone forever. You can't magically get the richer details available in an
uncompressed format like wav by converting from mp3 to wav.

This is also an example of how dissengenuous the recording industry is
over peer to peer file sharing. The copies being shared, for the most
part, are no where near the quality of the recordings shrink wrapped in
the music store. It's not as they say, that every digital copy is an
exact duplicate of the original. That's just balderdash. And there are
many many more ways to make an inexact digital copy, just as there have
long been ways to make an extremely accurate analog copy of analog
media.

But, I diagress yet again.