Your Linux fears (again)

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Tue Nov 19 14:33:44 EST 2002

I have to agree with Kenny on this one. Especially when you compile things
from source. Take his example of needing X installed to play dvd's. This
isn't true. Just grab mplayer from sources and the video codec (even
though you won't use it). Then specify video output=NULL and ao=oss/alsa
and you're set. This is further documented in the archives as he mentioned
as well.

May you code in the power of the source,
may the kernel, libraries, and utilities be with you,
throughout all distributions until the end of the epoch.