a raid question

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Nov 6 00:22:35 EST 2002

Hi All.

I just created linear raid using 2 drives which became /dev/md0. I used a third partition on a third drive to hold my instalation, so that I could transfer it over to /dev/md0 once it was created.

However, I now want to make that third partition be a part of the linear array. I modified /etc/raidtab, and set the partition type to fd with cfdisk. However, when I boot, md says something about a bad magic block on this third partition, and doesn't add it.

I was under the impression that the linear raid can be expanded if you add more disks. In other words, I thought of it as being dynamic rather then static in nature.

If I can in fact add the third partition to be included in /dev/md0, what do I need to do?

I thought of running mkraid, but I didn't want to blow away my existing contents of /dev/md0, and the man page wasn't very reassuring.

I would appreciate it if someone could please tell me how to add this third partition if that is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Greg