This could be a problem

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sun May 26 12:24:25 EDT 2002

As some of you know, Slackware Linux 8.1 is in beta test status now.  It
has reached what is being called "rc1."  This means release candidate 1.
Yet, none of the pre-compiled kernels have Speakup in them.  I decided to
try and rectify this by taking the bare.i kernel's config file and
building a Speakup-enabled kernel based on it.  Unfortunately, the Speakup
kernel came out to over 1 MB and a warning came up stating that it was too
large to boot from a floppy.  So, it looks like for Speakup to work in
Slackware 8.1 with a 2.4.18 kernel, some options are going to have to be
removed.  Just thought this would be a useful heads up so that we can
resolve this before Slackware 8.1 becomes final.

Adam