Sound on the Motherboard

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri May 24 23:04:43 EDT 2002

Was this with kernel drivers? If so the 8-bit mode isn't
supported, alsa converts from 8-16bit in software before dumping to card.
This is like the fact that the es137x has no mu-law support but alsa has a
/dev/audio device.
either use kernel drivers with -DNEED_LINEAR with speak freely or use alsa.