interesting experiment.

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Fri May 24 18:01:04 EDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> Let's be realistic, most modern boards have soundcards on them,
> and something half decent can be had for $10US so
> gone are the days of pc-speaker and parallel port dongles

True, but the issue we were talking about is the fact that sound usually
isn't set up on an installation CD and many people don't initially know
how to get it working in Linux.  Also, if they choose Alsa or kernel
modules, sound isn't ready until some time after the bootup process has
started.  The whole point of a PC speaker driver would be to provide
speech to somebody who doesn't have a hardware synth and wants to get
Linux up and running.  Granted, I don't think it's real practical, but
that was what was being discussed as I understand it.