OLD DAYS

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Fri May 24 13:58:08 EDT 2002

Hi Again,
This is NOT correct.  There were 3 screen reading programs written for
the c-64!  I don't even remember the name of the first program I used,,
but it worked off of a cartridge that you plugged into the cartridge
slot and produced a software synthesized voice.  That one didn't work
very well--it only ran a few programs.  Then there was Eric Bohlmann's
product, that had a screen reader that you had to load in with a load
command from a disk.  Once it was loaded, you would remove the disk and
proceed normally.  It came with a keypad and a synthesizer.  Then you
would insert whatever disks you wanted and load the programs.  I would
guess that it worked with about 60% of the commercial software
available.  Then Eric made a cartridge version that worked on about 80%
of the commercially available software which was really amazing for that
time.  He also had written a terminal program that used a whopping 40K.
Also, I wrote my first C code on a very optimizing K&R C compiler.  The
only problem was that it took about 15 minutes and 5 disk removals to
compile a simple program.  The reason I got a PC was so that I could
compile C programs faster and the fact that all of the C books at that
time were either using UNIX examples  or DOS examples.

     Jim Wantz WB0TFK