Recording from lin problem

'Georgina' gena at gena-j.net
Thu May 23 14:07:24 EDT 2002

Hi All

I wondered if anyone could shed some light what's wrong here.  I'm
trying to record from a stereo source coming in via the line in of a
Sound Blaster Live Value.

Firstly I tried with the latest of alsa release candidate one.  I tried
many things but for example, if I entered the following:

arecord -f cd test.wav

The file would claim to be stereo but be only in one channel.

I removed alsa and selected the SB Live in the kernel config and built a
new kernel.  So after playing around with aumix, I got my line in source
playing and gave it the R record status.  I found that I could not put
the -c 2 and -r 44100 together.  The version of sox requires that
effects are stated after the filename.  So successful commands are:

rec -c 2 -f s -s w test.wav

rec -f s -s w test.wav -r 44100

rec -c 2 -f s -s w test.wav -r 22050

In other words I can record in cd quality only in mono.  Or stereo
recordings will only work at a rate of 22050 and not at the cd quality
that I wish to use.

The fact that the alsa and the sox route aren't working suggests that it
is a hardware problem but it seems odd.  I'm confident that I have
enough resources to make stereo recordings.  As it is a Athlon 1.4
processor 256 RAM and I've plenty of free disk space somewhere 10 Gb.
BTW:  How do you establish exactly how much disk space is free?

We know also that the sox version is dodgy too as the rec script is
currupt, so this could be the problem as I've borrowed the rec script
from the previous version.  I'm using:

sox: Version 12.17.3

All I want to do is to make a stereo cd quality recording.  Any
suggestions of what the cause of my problems are please?

Thanks.

Gena

Have your say:
Blindness Advocacy and Self Help Online www.bashonline.org

Please don't send me MS Word documents, see
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Personal Contact Details:
E-mail: gena at gena-j.net WWW: http://www.gena-j.net ICQ: 144169465