problem configuring sb16 and alsa

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu May 23 03:15:46 EDT 2002

You are welcome to try them, but if you intend
to sample or do lots of audio work speakup does not play well with them.
You can rebuild your drivers with the following command-line:
./configure --with-debug=basic
then make;make install
and it should dump information to the logs as it tries to detect the card.
You could also run scanport and see if a non-zero value appears around
port 0x220 and if so the card is alive.
Some creative cards were asleep until awoken, and guess what
that is exactly what diagnose did before testing it.
You could r un diagnose, then warm-boot to Linux see if the card works,
or run pnpdump and make sure the card is not in the output
pnpdump >/tmp/isapnp.conf
and look through it for creative devices.
If they are there your card is plug 'n' play.
Yes the plug 'n' play cards also had jumpers :-)
Is it any wonder we ended up calling these cards sound bastard 16 cards <smile>
there were so many kinds revisions and quirks.
I had a plug 'n' play card I tried to get going unsuccessfully with alsa
the other day; an awe32 or somesuch,
and it wouldn't go but it could have been a broken card.
I'll think on it, but I am out of ideas for now.
Do check the pnpdump output, some non-plug 'n' play cards also had plug 'n'
play on them and it depended on th e wake up method.
Creative were shockers in that regard. For a laugh read the comments
at the top of sb16.c or the file that controls the dsp on the sb16.

--
Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au
ICQ: 8226547 msn: kerry at gotss.net Yahoo: kerryhoath at yahoo.com.au