Get Out Of Jail Free!

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Wed May 22 12:28:31 EDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Ann Parsons wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > You are in a different terminal,
> >
> > Log in.
>

> Possibly, he needs to understand that under Linux you login for
> each and every console session you open. This is different from
> Windows where you login once as you boot.  In essence, Windows
> has only one console to offer, so he likely doesn't understand
> the concept of consoles.

Hey, come on guys.  I know that some of Octavian's messages haven't been
of the best, but at least read them.  He's already stated that he logs in
over telnet.  This means that your changing of consoles won't work for
him.

Octavian, if you are working at the consol and your emacs-speak stops
speaking, you might want to try telneting to your box from Windows, to
ensure that your box is still alive.  Then, you can follow the other steps
outlined by Janina to kill the relevant process.  I know it's not ideal,
as you of course want to use Linux from the consol, but it is the lowest
risk solution, as constant reboots could eventually cause your file
systems to become corrupted if you're not running ext3fs or similar.  The
other thing that springs to mind is that emacs-speak or via voice may
crash if you're trying to run them on a consol other than directly, i.e.
if you're trying to use them after logging in over telnet, these apps may
not appreciate it.
Also, as has been previously stated, don't forget that you can open more
than one telnet session to your Linux machine from your Windows box, so
you can use these extra sessions to check the status of seemingly dead
processes if you want/need to.

 Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808