Command Line VS. GUI - attempted analogy

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Wed May 22 00:16:43 EDT 2002

When using a command interpreter, like any of the linux shells, your having
a conversation with the computer.

When using a GUI, you can reach into the machine and manipulate objects
directly, at least that is the intent.

With the command line, your telling the computer what to do and the computer
tells you the results of your action. In a GUI envoronment, your
manipulating objects directly, with no intermediator.

These are distinctly different approaches, and each has its strengths and
weaknesses. As another example, consider text editing. When using ed or any
command-line editor, you tell the computer what you want to do and it
responds. Think of how different this is from a full-screen editor like
emacs or notepad. You might say ed is more powerful, but the editing
features of emacs are comparable. They just *feel* completely different.
Consider teaching your sighted colleague how to use ed, especially a younger
person who may not have ever seen such a beast.

                    Rich