Why Windows?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at home.ro
Tue May 21 01:44:03 EDT 2002

Hi,

Here is a message I've received. I've tried it, and it works.
I can't find the HTML file I've created, but you can  try that provided
link.
I don't know if it was solved until now.

A security hole has been discovered which affects all versions of IE since
version 4 plus OE and Outlook even if Active Scripting and ActiveX are
disabled in the browser settings.  MS has no patch yet, but this page here
http://www.theregus.com/content/4/24206.html
has more details.
The site is experiencing heavy traffic so here are the details:

<snip>
IE, Outlook run malicious commands without scripting
By Thomas C Greene in Washington
An attacker can run arbitrary commands on Windows machines with a simple
bit of HTML, an Israeli security researcher has demonstrated. The exploit
will work with IE, Outlook and OutlooK Express even if active scripting and
ActiveX are disabled in the browser security settings.

The problem here is data binding, an old 'feature' going back to IE4 in
which a data source object (DSO) is bound to HTML.

Using an XML data source, the researchers operating a Web site called
GreyMagic Software came up with a simple example in which a few lines will
cause Windows to launch the calculator application thus:

<xml id="oExec">
<security>
<exploit>
<![CDATA[
<object id="oFile" classid="clsid:11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111"
codebase="c:/windows/system32/calc.exe"></object>
]]>
</exploit>
</security>
</xml>

You can copy and paste this into a text editor, where "windows" is your
Windows directory, and name it whatever.htm. Then open the file with your
browser and watch the calculator launch.

MS has yet to patch the hole, but we've verified that a workaround proposed
by Axel Pettinger and Garland Hopkins works on the above example, though
that's no guarantee that it will work on every exploit of this sort.

Using regedit.exe find the following key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0]
and change the value of "1004" (DWORD) from "0" to "3".

Don't forget to back up your registry before making changes, even innocuous
ones like this.

You can then re-boot and open the example file with your browser again to
verify that it fails to launch the calculator. However, the workaround will
often cause IE to launch a security warning dialog box which has to be
cleared before you can continue surfing. It tells you that your security
settings are interfering with your rich Internet experience, and you can't
tick a box ordering it to stop warning you of what you already know.

Personally I believe MS does this to discourage high security settings in
IE which interfere with the rich eXPeriences advertisers have in store for
you on the Web, and which MS seems inexplicably eager to vouchsafe. You
don't get sick of the slightly scaled-down functionality; you get sick of
the endless warnings and eventually capitulate and restore your settings to
Redmond-approved, and Direct Marketing Association-approved, levels.

But we digress.

Obviously, there's a slew of malicious activities which can be attempted
with this exploit, and a slew of people busily working on them. Thus it
might be prudent to apply the workaround until Redmond issues a patch -- if
you can stand to be harangued about your security settings at every turn,
that is. ®
Teddy,
orasnita at home.ro