interesting experiment.

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Mon May 20 10:48:18 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I have left this post in here because it is cogent and it applies
here.

Excuse me for speaking bluntly, but what is needed here is some
education mentality.  We've received several messages from one person
this morning who is trying his best to learn Linux.  He has to learn
Linux for his job or school or something He's working with a set of
circumstances that are not the best.

First, he is using software speech in Linux via emacs because Dectalk
PC is not supported by Speakup.  So, he's kinda between a rock and a
hard place.

Second, English is not his native tongue and he is having a hard time
understanding docs and what commands to use.

Third, he has a learning style that needs to be accommodated.  This
takes understanding and patience.

Charles, if ACB is interested in Linux, that's super.  Is there any
way I can help?  I'd be happy to write tutorials, except that I'm not
good at all the commands and so on.  If someone gave me all the
commands and that, I could write a tutorial.  Is there perhaps someone
who would like to collaborate with me on writing Linux Tutorials for
the blind?

Ann P.

    Hi all,Charles>          OK, now I need to speak from the view of
    Hi all,Charles> the American council of the blind with respect to
    Hi all,Charles> this thread.

    Hi all,Charles>          We want to see alternatives to the
    Hi all,Charles> dominant Ms-Windows operating system and
    Hi all,Charles> applications that are accessible and user
    Hi all,Charles> friendly.  We realize there is a culture around
    Hi all,Charles> Linux that we do not wish to displace or otherwise
    Hi all,Charles> change, yet the culture demands a level of
    Hi all,Charles> personal involvement and knowledge that is neither
    Hi all,Charles> easy to obtain from the available resources nor
    Hi all,Charles> easy to learn once those resources are found.
    Hi all,Charles> Hence, the participation of the wider blindness
    Hi all,Charles> community is not likely unless there are new ways
    Hi all,Charles> of learning and using Linux that maintain the
    Hi all,Charles> accessibility and lack of expense that are so
    Hi all,Charles> attractive.

    Hi all,Charles>          It is not a matter of telling folks to
    Hi all,Charles> read the manual when the manual is prefaced upon
    Hi all,Charles> an expectation of understanding that is greater
    Hi all,Charles> than the average person starting out.  Neither is
    Hi all,Charles> it helpful to assume that everyone is going to be
    Hi all,Charles> able to prioritize their time to dedicate to Linux
    Hi all,Charles> in the same way as others have.

    Hi all,Charles>          This is not a hobby.  It is an operating
    Hi all,Charles> system for use by those who need the access and
    Hi all,Charles> affordability of it.  So let's admit that we need
    Hi all,Charles> to accommodate those interests and find a way to
    Hi all,Charles> do it that is not threatening to the current
    Hi all,Charles> community of users.

    Hi all,Charles>          For the reasons above, ACBH is attempting
    Hi all,Charles> to find the resources to get the internal speech
    Hi all,Charles> engine we need to put speakup inside the box with
    Hi all,Charles> internal quality speech.  That will expand the
    Hi all,Charles> user base because we won't be hunting around for
    Hi all,Charles> hardware that is slowly disappearing.

    Hi all,Charles>          Next we need to look at the usability
    Hi all,Charles> issue.  This does not mean we try and change the
    Hi all,Charles> nature of Linux and it's syntax, but we do need to
    Hi all,Charles> look at any avenues to either make it more easy
    Hi all,Charles> for folks to learn the context through tutorials
    Hi all,Charles> for example or possible other ways.

    Hi all,Charles>          In the end, Linux is a robust product
    Hi all,Charles> that need not be seen as having only one road to
    Hi all,Charles> access.  So let's stop making assumptions about
    Hi all,Charles> the people who are only trying to use this cool
    Hi all,Charles> operating system and start making an environment
    Hi all,Charles> that supports all who want to use it.

    Hi all,Charles> -- Charlie Crawford.  At 04:34 PM 5/19/02 -0400,