ACB

cwhitley cwhitley at ec.rr.com
Mon May 20 10:37:49 EDT 2002

>On Mon, 20 May 2002 08:44:03 -0400 Charles Crawford <ccrawford at acb.org>
wrote.
>         OK, now I need to speak from the view of the American council of
>the blind with respect to this thread.
>
>         We want to see alternatives to the dominant Ms-Windows operating
>system and applications that are accessible and user friendly.  We realize
>there is a culture around Linux that we do not wish to displace or
>otherwise change, yet the culture demands a level of personal involvement
>and knowledge that is neither easy to obtain from the available resources
>nor easy to learn once those resources are found.  Hence, the participation

>of the wider blindness community is not likely unless there are new ways of

>learning and using Linux that maintain the accessibility and lack of
>expense that are so attractive.
>
>         It is not a matter of telling folks to read the manual when the
>manual is prefaced upon an expectation of understanding that is greater
>than the average person starting out.  Neither is it helpful to assume that

>everyone is going to be able to prioritize their time to dedicate to Linux
>in the same way as others have.
>
>         This is not a hobby.  It is an operating system for use by those
>who need the access and affordability of it.  So let's admit that we need
>to accommodate those interests and find a way to do it that is not
>threatening to the current community of users.
>
>         For the reasons above, ACBH is attempting to find the resources to

>get the internal speech engine we need to put speakup inside the box with
>internal quality speech.  That will expand the user base because we won't
>be hunting around for hardware that is slowly disappearing.
>
>         Next we need to look at the usability issue.  This does not mean
>we try and change the nature of Linux and it's syntax, but we do need to
>look at any avenues to either make it more easy for folks to learn the
>context through tutorials for example or possible other ways.
>
>         In the end, Linux is a robust product that need not be seen as
>having only one road to access.  So let's stop making assumptions about the

>people who are only trying to use this cool operating system and start
>making an environment that supports all who want to use it.
>
>-- Charlie Crawford.
>At 04:34 PM 5/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>I think that most people know how to search for things on the internet. I
>>  think you need to stop and think about the fact that not all people are
>>good at finding things and that's why we ask for help. If I could find all
>>of the answers to my problems, I wouldn't be asking.:p  Before you start
>>treating new people like their idiots, try to remember that we're all
>>different, we all learn in different ways, and sometimes we miss stuff.
>>

>>On Sun, 19 May 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:
>>
>> > All right, Newbies, Listen Up!
>> >
>> > There's something called Google. It's your friend. You use it
> [...]
Hi,
Might I inquire as to how Linux is any worse today than DOS was?  Both are
text mode, command line oriented OS's.  There were very successfull DOS
users that happened to be blind.  Of course, at the time GUI had not caught
on with the sighted world, but it did exist.  I am not saying that progress
doesn't need to be made, just that you seem to be stating the problem worse
than it actually is.  There are actually some DOS users still out there.
Regards,
Cecil