Get Out Of Jail Free!

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon May 20 01:16:47 EDT 2002

No, no, no. You have to login on each console.

Until you've logged in on a particular console, you have no
command prompt for commands like 'emacs.'

One more time ...

You have to login for each console that you open. It's not like
Windows, remember?

Do you know how to tell without speech whether or not you're at a
command line prompt? If you press back space and the speaker
beeps, you're there. If not, you aren't.

Of course, if you've typed something on the command line, you'll
have to press back space that many times to erase what you've
typed first. But, once you've erased the command line, you will
get a beep from the speaker when you press backspace.

You will not get a beep if you press backspace at the login
prompt.

So, login when you change consoles. Then, press backspace and
listen for the beep. If you have it, you succeeded logging in. If
you don't, something didn't go correctly.