Get Out Of Jail Free!

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun May 19 21:06:37 EDT 2002

My last message assumed something that should probably not be
assumed.

You need to know how to change consoles.

By default, you have six that you can have different identities
in. For example, you can be your ordinary username in consoles 1,
3, 4, 5, and 6, but be root in console 2.

Use Ctrl-Alt plus the first six function keys to switch consoles.
In other words, Ctrl-Alt-F1 (meaning the function key labeled f1
to the right of Esc) will take you to console 1, Ctrl-Alt-F2 will
take you to the second console, etc.

PS: I give these instructions with Ctrl, because that's what we
should start getting used to. People who've been doing this with
just Alt should know that they'll have to add the Ctrl in order
to get out of X, and Gnopernicus is coming, so it's time to get
ready.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development