Windows XP spying (was possible sollution)

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sun May 19 16:57:21 EDT 2002

Could you use something like Tiny Personal Firewall or Zone Alarm to block
Windows XP from sending out stuff?  Or, would it start complaining that it
couldn't send "vital" information?  I wouldn't expect Windows XP's own
firewall to block it, so it would surely be a third party one.  Or, you
could put it behind a Linux box and have it block the crap it is trying to
send out.  I had heard rumors about Windows XP doing this sort of stuff,
so that's why I've avoided it.  I'm still dual booting with Windows 95.
Does Windows 2000 send out all your serial numbers and track you like
that?