ssh question

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Sun May 19 12:04:54 EDT 2002

Folks,

Make a long story short, I had put together a Debian box I was planning
to press into service as a firewall box. I for curiosity sake installed
the Bastille package. Seems this might have caused me problems or its at
least the only thing I can point to as the possible cause.

When trying to ssh into that machine from any other machine that is in
the hosts file, I get the following error.

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed

I am not sure what this error is and haven't found the likely cause. Any
ideas?

Again the machine that is causing the problems does know about all other
machines in the network. Any thoughts appreciated and I'm sure its
something really simple I'm overlooking.
That's my punishment for starting a project and then putting it off for
a few months then to go back to it and having a bad memory.<grin>

Scott