interesting experiment.

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Sun May 19 11:11:08 EDT 2002

Hi Dan. If you have two hardware synths, running both in separate ttys will work. However, if you are using the same synth and Speakup is running, you're going to get i/o errors when you try to run both packages at the same time. One thing to try would be rebooting (I know Linux users like me hate rebooting their box), but you need to pass speakup_synth=none to lilo so that the dectalk module doesn't get loaded at boot time. Even if you hit print-screen to kill Speakup then run Emacspeak, this won't work because the Dectalk module doesn't give /dev/ttyS0 or whatever port you are using back to the kernel and say that its done with the device. I myself have been trying to correct this, but no success as of yet.