interesting experiment.

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Sun May 19 03:08:26 EDT 2002

Yes, I must second on the music stuff. The only reason I use windows and
Jaws is that it gives me access to cakeWalk, a very powerful (and mostly
accessible) music sequencing and audio editing environment. Writing such a
beast is very difficult, nontrivial, very f*cking hard, and takes many human
years to accomplish.
To be fair, some of this difficulty may have to do with its reliance on
Windows and its very ugly GUI programming (yes, its as ugly to develope
under as it is to use), and some of the complexity may have to do with its
ability to deal with music notation, but its still a nontrivial task to
write such a beast. My feeling is that a console based sequencing and audio
package like cakeWalk won't ever be created, because sighted people want to
use a GUI. When gnome comes on-line for us, we may have more options in this
regard. I've heard of mixers and effects processors which are x-windows
based, but I'm not sure how well they work. I think there is a sequencer or
two as well for the X environment. The question is, are any of these as good
as cakeWalk? CakeWalk is a professional quality product in every way. The
only thing nonprofessional about it is Windows!

There is someone (Frank Carmichael, I believe) who has been working on the
audio piece of this, so maybe he can chime in on this and tell me how *wrong
I am*! <smile>

There is no way to create music the way I do without this program! It sux,
but its unfortunately the case.

                    Rich