interesting experiment.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat May 18 22:48:35 EDT 2002

Hi, Cecil:

It's easy enough to install flite and yasr. They're applications
that run in console mode, not patches to the kernel like Speakup
is. You can get everything you need at:

	http://eflite.sf.net

The speech isn't the greatest, at least not in this, its first
incarnation.

My strong advice to you, however, would be to find about $300
U.S. for an internal Doubletalk, if you have an ISA slot free, or
the external Litetalk if you don't. Unless you hate Doubletalk
speech, the internal makes Speakup fly. It's very snappy to run.