some of the recent list threads

Ed Barnes edbarnes at anomaly.2y.net
Sat May 18 21:50:49 EDT 2002

Hi list.
As someone who is relatively new to Linux and who has learned a great deal
from members of this list through the assistance he's received from list
members I have a comment or two to make regarding the dominant threads on
the list over the past few days.
First, the jaws thread as I'll call it probably belongs elsewhere as this
list is searchable as Cessil has already outlined, if it does go elsewhere
I'll probably migrate there though I wouldn't leave this list.
The other thing that I have to say is the thread of usage of Linux vs
Windows is a waste of the Windows proponents time and energy.
If you use and like Windows, use it.
If you like and use Linux, that's fine too.
Or, if you use both, fine.
However, Windows proponents and or linux bashers, if you think linux is
for example: hard to learn, has to many commands, isn't viable for
whatever your purpose for it is, and you don't wish to learn what are you
doing on this list.
If you just want to bash Linux I don't think this is the place, join some
MS$ lists are your comments I am certain will be very welcome.
They are a waste of everyone's time on this list.
The more knowledgable on the list are here to add to their knowledge and
help new people.
And most of the new people probably want to learn from the veterans around
here.
Don't waste the time of experienced people like Janina or Shaun or
whomever writing crocks of bull shit about what Linux isn't so they then
must reply to correct your propaganda crap.
I hope I've not offended anyone with this note as that wasn't my intent
and in closing may I say regarding the software synth vs hardware synth
thread that I'll take an Accent SA, an Accent PC, or an Artic transport
over any software speech so I personally don't care if software speech
ever comes to fruition despite the fact that carrying around a transport
is a bit inconvenient.
And, I like the fact that because the synth is detected so early when
Linux boots I can either listen to it spue out boot up messages or I can
use numpad enter to shut it up, at my disgression depending if I need this
extra verbalization or not.
Regards to  all.

Ed Barnes
E-mail edbarnes at anomaly.2y.net or ebarnes1 at warp.nfld.net
Ph (home) 709-596-3165 or (cell) 709-683-6085
http://anomaly.2y.net
"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his
tail." --- unknown