Jabber console based clients

Erik Heil eheil at rcn.com
Thu May 16 20:16:36 EDT 2002

Hi Igor,
Actually, I was thinking about that.  I'm not sure of what the current
status of console-based Jabber apps are, but I'm pretty sure that the
gateway only supports rudimentary text-only chat of course.  i.e. No fansy
fonts because this would obviously involve some flags being client specific.
Wonder what they do in the case if their launched within an Xterm session?
Perhaps their as smart as Emacs and will communicate with the X server to
windowize the application and do all of the nice UI tricks that we expect in
GUI-enabled applications.  While I'm on the subject of jabber and unified IM
gateways, I really don't see any hope for interoperable file transfers
unless perhaps some form of DCC would be implemented.  After all, its taken
Microshaft and AOL so long to discuss the unified standard, and so far
nothing's been done.  GRRRR!