anyone else?

Cecil H. Whitley cwhitley at ec.rr.com
Thu May 16 18:20:52 EDT 2002

Hi,
At this moment my chain has been severly jerked.  So here's the scenario....
I went in on april 23 to find a new car.  Got pre-approved and everything.
Found a car that both me and my wife liked.  Traded in my old car and we
drove the new one home.  I signed the contract.  The title to the previous
car was in my name, it was registered in my name, and it was insured in my
name.  On the new car loan capitol 1 (the underwriter) is attempting to
require that I have a co-signer with a drivers license.  The car will be
registered in my name, insured in my name and titled in my name (once it is
paid for), so why should I be required to have a person cosign the loan
simply because they have a license?  I can within the limits of my insurance
policy have anyone I desire to drive the vehicle do so.  I'm not making any
sort of commentment that only she will drive it.

So, has anyone else run into this?  Is this not a discriminatory requirement
since it has nothing to do with my (or hers) ability to pay?  Bottom line,
we are a single income family (mine) and so having her cosign isn't going to
improve their ability to collect.

Comments welcome!

Cecil