Consensus opinion required - was 'more worms'

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Wed May 15 10:54:03 EDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, 'Georgina' wrote:

> Hi
>
> Well I believe that GNU/Linux is becoming more popular as developers
> such as those with Redhat and Mandrake with their superb installers,
> will attract the attention of hackers who wish to be destructive to
> write viruses that can infect Unix type systems.  Perhaps the antivirus
> software producers are just using psychology but over the past year,
> they're producing their products to run under Unix type systems and more
> have appeared on the market.

One of the biggest problems is the default permissions which can come from
certain apps.  I remember there was a warning a year or two ago, that some
packages on some distros had 777 permissions, now if that's not an
invitation, nothing is.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808