xwindows

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon May 13 17:03:47 EDT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Charles Crawford wrote:

> Janina,
>
>          Well, I kind of agree and disagree.  One reason why Windows is so
> popular is the lack of heavy learning of command line commands.  DOS was
> criptic, but Linux is even more so.  Hence, if we want to get the command
> line to be supported by many more people than currently using it, then we
> need to come up with a menuing system that eliminates alot of the criptic
> stuff.  If i can launch a program in linux from a menu and then the program
> gives me option like Pine, then it would work well.  I am talking about all
> the system stuff that is so exacting and with all due respect to the
> programmers, not very intuitive or descritive.

One way to put this is to say that things have improved greatly, with the
use of things like ncurses and also much more documentation than there
ever used to be - if you used Linux back in 1995 you'll know what I mean,
though even then it could be adequate.  Another way to put it, if I were
being particularly blunt, which I'm not, is r t fm.

Ok, so people don't use uniform interfaces, but that's great, cos it means
that those that don't like a certain interface have a choice.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808