slight dns confusion again

Gregory Nowak greg at romualt.dhs.org
Fri May 10 15:10:28 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I decided to find out what my secondary dns knows about my domain after getting my primary DNS configured a few days ago.

DiG 9.1.2 <<>> @ns2.granitecanyon.com romualt.dhs.org -t SOA
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;romualt.dhs.org.               IN      SOA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
dhs.org.                6608    IN      NS      ns1.dhs.org.
dhs.org.                6608    IN      NS      ns2.dhs.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.dhs.org.            156589  IN      A       63.175.98.30
ns2.dhs.org.            156589  IN      A       202.77.181.57

;; Query time: 93 msec
;; SERVER: 65.102.83.43#53(ns2.granitecanyon.com)
;; WHEN: Fri May 10 13:57:21 2002
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 101

Upon seeing this, I became conserned that I didn't get what I was expecting (which was the SOA record for my domain).

Since it was late at night, and there was no trafic to my box for a while according to my logs, I decided to shut down my primary dns and do some experimenting.

After shutting down my bind, the first thing I did was:

dig romualt.dhs.org -t SOA

and got a time out error from dig.

Then, I tried accessing my new site.

lynx http://www.romualt.dhs.org

and was informed by lynx that the site could not be found, even though apache was still running.

Next, I got into my remote unix account, and tried to access linserver.romualt.dhs.org by telnetting to it on a certain port. This worked fine. Then, I reactivated my primary dns, and things were fine.

Does this mean that zone transfers are not taking place between my primary and secondary DNS servers? I was under the impression that my allow transfer directives in /etc/named.conf were fine, since I wrote them according to the docs, and since named didn't complain. Maybe it would be best if someone experienced was willing to have a look at my named.conf and zone files to let me know what I screwed up. If anyone is willing to do that, please e-mail me privately.

Also, if anyone would like to let me know what you think about
http://www.romualt.dhs.org
, please do so. I'd be interested in getting some comments.
Thanks.
Greg