sox doesn't like gramofile wav files

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Thu May 9 15:16:01 EDT 2002

Hi Cheryl -
What you describe is nearly inevitable. It happens because the
recording is terminated by interrupting the program (grammofile)
so it never has an opportunity to write the true length of the
recording in the wav file header. Simply copying the resulting
wav file (with sox) to another file will result in the true
length being placed in the new header instead of "infinity" which
the original header contains. I use "arecord" to do my recording
and the same thing happens with it. Terminating the actual
recording with a ^C leaves the output file header containing
"infinity" for a file length. In my case I use scripts a lot, so
in my scripts I usually direct the arrecord output to /tmp, and
then within the script I use sox to copy it to my working
directory, where it ends up with a proper length.

Chuck

Visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck