Why does it need that much hard disk space?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu May 9 10:20:43 EDT 2002

Let's eliminate some confusion here.
If you want to install redhat with the typical default set of stuff
and both gnome and kde
and all the office stuff and netscape etc etc it does take 3gb.
Now that is also to say that if you do a typical install of Windows XP
it'll take 1.5gb of disk + whatever you want for an office package.
You can of course install Redhat in 150 megs and Windows in 300
megs by selecting _custom_ and eliminating the stuff you don't need/want.
If you are a power user and once you know what you are up to, you can get
Linux into about 40-80 megs if you either roll your won or
use linuxfromscratch etc but you pay a price by not having a package manager.

Regards, Kerry.