Few More questions!

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Wed May 8 17:44:43 EDT 2002

From: "Cris Ali" <filastin48 at hotmail.com>
To: <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 5:11 PM
Subject: Few More questions!

> Thanks for all of you who replied to my inquiry about the amount of Hard
> Disk space needed to install linux.  From the very many answers I received
> so far, I got the impression that I can install a reasonably working
> operating system on less than 1 Gig.  This is what I was hoping to hear.
It
> means I won't need to buy a new hard disk.  However, I also learned that
> there are different destribution packages to install from.  Four names
were
> mentioned, Slackware, Debian, Redhat, and Zipspeak.  My questions are:  Do
> they all work fine with speak up?
Yes.  Zipspeak is a minidistribution of slackware that runs on a current
msdos/winblows system.  It has speakup built into the kernel.  Debian works
with speakup, so does redhat.  Slackware comes with speakup already compiled
into the kernel.  Redhat and debian need special bootdisks I think.
 eeven   Do they all allow for a full installation
> >from beginning to end without sighted help?
For the most part.  I've heard that redhat is a little flacky, something
about the disk druid utilody.  One of you red hat people could probably
clear that up.  Al the others seem fine.
  Where can I find a complete
> list of what components I need to install, and what components to ignore?
Depends on what you want.  If your a programmer, you want all the compiler
and lib stuff.  If you want to screw around with xwindows when the
accessibility stuf is released later this year, you'll need to install it.