Why does it need that much hard disk space?

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Wed May 8 14:37:11 EDT 2002

Actually, Linux *doesn't* require all that space. Here's the big
difference: Windows *does* require a bunch of space for its
install. You get a few applications--basic word processor and text
editor, clock, Internet connectivity, Web browser, file sharing, and
so on--and you have to install most of it. A GNU/Linux system, on the
other hand, gives you choices--which is what takes up most of the
space. You can get a very minimal system on a couple floppies, but as
I said, it's very minimal, generally tailored to a specific
application--rescuing another system, acting as a router, etc. You can
get a fairly usable system in something like 100 MB, including a
compiler, browser, text editor, and so on. You can get a very complete
system without X-Window in afew hundred megabytes, including several
of most kinds of applications you're likely to use.

The reason you're seeing the huge space requirement is that that
installs a whole bunch of different applications, games, browsers, and
so on, along with lots of development things, and a bunch of stuff
you're likely not to use. The thing is, with a *full* multi-gigabyte
installation, you've got about five of nearly anything to choose from
for your use--by default. You can pare that down very easily to quite
a lot less space.

Someone else wanna explain that better?
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3  | I choose you to take up all of my time.
Email: davros at ycardz.com | I choose you because you're funny and kind