changing a file from mono to stereo

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Tue May 7 04:47:24 EDT 2002

Simply sample the original files in mono. This will record the left chanel
only and you will end up with a file that when played comes
out center chanel because it is mono.
The harder way of doing this is to merge the stereo into mono
wiht sox:
sox stereofile.wav -c1 monofile.wav
the avg affect is assumed.
A mono recording will play out _both_ speakers, but a
stereo recording of a left-chanel only source will only come out left
chanel.
Sampling in mono halves the bandwidth required when encoding
and a mono ogg stream at 44100 samples per second 16-bit
with default quality settings avarages around 64kbps. the equivalent
stereo stream averages 128kbits.

Regards, Kerry.