How to get an accessible telephone

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon May 6 17:37:36 EDT 2002

In the U.S. telephones and telephone services must be accessible. It's the law. Unfortunately, putting a law in the law
book isn't enough. Consumers must insist on the benefits the law entitles them to, and they must complain to the
appropriate authorities if they don't get the benefits they're entitled to.

     * Do you receive your phone bills in a format you can read?
     * Do you have your telephone's manual in a format you can read?
     * Does your phone speak its settings as you arrow around the menus?
     * Can you adjust your telephone's display to make it more readable?

AFB wants to help you get the accessible telephone and telephone service the law entitles you to.

Step One:	Become informed. Know your rights. To learn more, read our newly revised brochure on this subject at:

	http://www.afb.org/section255.asp

Step Two:	If you try and don't succeed, complain to the authorities. We've designed a complaint form you can use:

	http://www.afb.org/255complaint.asp

Step Three:	Let us know the results of your complaint. We can't be your personal advocate, but the
information we get from many individuals will help us advocate better for you with industry and the government.

Our brochure explains all of this and provides links to additional information. Please bookmark this URL and use it to
get the accessible telephone and telephone service you're entitled to by law:

	http://www.afb.org/section255.asp

Please feel free to distribute this notice and our brochure wherever you see fit.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

   Please avoid sending me Word or Power-Point attachments.