bind problem solved, sort of

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Sun May 5 21:06:25 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I've been doing some experimenting. I first read the dig man page, and figured out how to use dig to ask ns1.dhs.org directly about mydomain.dhs.org. Yes, dhs.org knows about me.

Then, I did some more experimenting, but with the same story. Finally, being stumpped, I deactivated my firewall, and low and behold, I was able to successfully use dig on a remoat box to get info on mydomain.dhs.org with the NOERR status. No, I don't feel like an idiot here, since I have tcp ports 42 and 53 opened in my firewall. What else do I need opened?

Raul, If you're reading this, I'm still using the endoshields firewall script like you. I know you've added dns entries to it. Could you please send me the right section of it so that I can see what you've got open? If not, if someone else could please tell me exactly which ports I should open besides tcp 42 and 53, then that would be enough. Thanks.
Greg