ram disk question

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Thu May 2 17:43:25 EDT 2002

Hi.  Question regarding ram disks.

I've looked at various howtos but I'm either missing on what I need to
read or what I want to do is not possible.

I'm wanting to populate around 100 megs of data onto a virtual partition
le'ts say made of a ram partition on a machine that all it has is a
cdrom and 1 gig of ram.  I tried doing:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0 count=195555

to get a ramdisk around 100 mb in size but I get the error no space left
on device.

On another machine with a hard drive I can do this if I just create a
file /tmp/tmpfs and do the dd command there.  I can then mke2fs the file
and mount it and have a 100 mb loop block device.  So in short, how can
I do this but with a ram disk?

Thanks.
--
If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can
go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.