Copying audio cds

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Sun Mar 31 10:44:45 EST 2002

Hi Ann and all.
Speaking of abcde, I am having another problem there as explained in the note
below. I already sent this to debian but the only reply I got was somebody else
who is having the same problem both on debian and redhat.
Oh, also, when I try to use the -o switch with abcde (for mp3 output instead of
ogg) I get this message (both as a user and as root):

abcde error:  id3v2 is not in your path.
As you'll se below, I can run abcde (and cdparanoia where the actual problem
seems to show up) just fine as root as long as I settle for ogg output or
actually cdparanoia works fine and gives me a .wav output.

Inserted message from email to other list:

I now have both a cdrom and a cdrw on
my machine. They are both ide/atapi but i
am using scsi emulation; the cdrw is scd0 and the cdrom is scd1 (on hdc and hdd
respectively). I have no
problem accessing the cdrom or the cdrw as far as mounting or listening to audio
cds. However, when I try to run abcde and/or cdparanoia I get errors about
"unable to open cdrom". when I run cdparanoia with the -v option, the indication
is
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd1 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd1

Yet when I run abcde and/or cdparanoia as root, there is no problem. I assume
this is some kind of permissions problem, but I can't seem to find the source of
it.
/dev/cdrom is the symlink to /dev/scd1 and /dev/cdrecord is the symlink to
/dev/scd0. I am also a member of the cdrom group. I didn't have any trouble with
these programs before converting to scsi.
Can anybody see what I need to change here?