Adding programs

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Mar 30 12:57:22 EST 2002

You want to do a similar thing to your CD ROM. You want to mount it:

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

is very likely all the command you'll need.

Once mounted, all the HOWTO files will be accessible in their own
directory. Under RedHat/RPMS (note the capital letters, and use tab
completion to make it easy on yourself), you'll find all kinds of rpms
that will install documentation on your harddrive:

rpm -iv *

should take care of installing all of them.

PS: you might want to look at /usr/share/doc to see what docs are already
installed. Also, you might want to create a symbolic link to this
directory as follows:

ln -sf /usr/share/doc /usr/doc

in order to ensure that all docs end up in the same tree as you install
new applications.