alsa and sox questions

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Mar 29 16:56:02 EST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> My sox does not have agc, this is version 12.17.3.
> It has avg but that is for merging channels.

avg is what I meant.   In my version, 12.16, you can also use it to extract
either the left or right channels.  Here's the bit from the man page:

       avg [ -l | -r ]
                 Reduce  the  number of channels by averaging the
                 samples, or duplicate channels to  increase  the
                 number  of channels.  Valid combinations are 1 -
                 2, 1 - 4, 2 - 4, 4 - 2, 4 - 1, 2 - 1. The -l  or
                 -r  option  is  not  really averaging but either
                 duplicates or leaves  just  the  left  or  right
                 channel,  depending  on  if  your  increasing or
                 decreasing the number of output channels.

It's odd that it has this functionality, given the existance of 'pick'.

Geoff.