alsa and sox questions

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Mar 29 06:53:14 EST 2002

Yes you can do channel fiddling I do this when I am copying 4-track tapes.
You use the pick effect to split out a channel like this:
sox stereo.wav -c1 mono_left.wav pick -l
sox stereo.wav -c1 mono-right.wav pick -r
You need the -c 1  to tell sox to o nly write 1 channel to the output.
If you have a mono wav you _can_ duplicate the left channel like this:
sox mono.wav -c2 stereo.wav
but mono plays in the center of the stereo image and you are simply duplicating data.
The only reason I can see for wanting to turn mon into stereo is if you have
some high quality mono samples you want to play on an audio cd that wants stereo data.
I had to do this with some mono minidiscs so they'd play on a normal cd player without
leaving the right channel silent or playing at the worng sample rate.

Regards, Kerry.