flame wars?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Mar 29 06:34:46 EST 2002

I don't think any particular user is a lamer or a looser or any other demeaning
term.
I do have a problem when a user asks a question that I have allready
answered in a message to them.
If you don't understand something ask for clarification, and if at first you don't understand
a message I have sent answering your question, stash it away since
 you may get a piece of knowledge that will clear things up.
I agree; list trafic is low on this list, and if it were not;
I would unsubscribe since I pay per megabyte received at 20.9 cents per meg.
I do remember when I was new to Linux, although when I got involved
the only distribution available was sls and you build everything from
source once you had core binaries. These were the days of kernel 0.99p4
which had no networking code in it by default and no sound driver.
As a result; I am used to doing things the hard way,
and in some cases the slow way. Things have definitely become easier
however there is still a lot to learn for the new user.
If terms are confusing, try http://www.whatis.com since they  have both a simple and complex
definition of a lot of things that suits the novice and expert alike.
Remember, there are list archives, and although this can be tedious often they may
contain answers to problems that have allready been covered on the list.
This does not mean you are not free to re-ask a question, but it can save time
if the answer is easy to find.

Regards, Kerry.