cdrom and cdrw

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Mar 27 10:32:27 EST 2002

It makes no difference which way they go on except
copying from cdrom to hard drive may be less efficient
if they are both on one controller. I would put cdrom
and cdrw on secondary controler because if you are copying
cds you will use a temp file on hard drive and _not_
do an on the fly copy unless it is a data only cd. Even then the runout
blocks can cause trouble.
I would put cdrw as secondary master and cdrom as
secondary slave.
That way digital extraction from either cdrom or cdrw to hard disk will run at full speed.
Note that if a cd is hard to read and you are doing an on the fly copy without
using a temp file and the source disk spins down you get a frisby so use
temp files on hard disk to do cd copies.

Regards, Kerry.