mtu

Brian Borowski brianb at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 26 19:35:42 EST 2002

You should not increase the MTU above 1500, you are just causing other
devices further upstream to have to segment your packets, to say nothing of
the fact, that you can't send out a packet with more than 1500 bytes inside
an ethernet frame; 1500 is the maximum you can put into an ethernet packet;
though, as Kerry said 1524 is the ethernet frame size, and it can hole 1500
bytes of whatever you put into it.  If you increase the MTU you will
actually slow things down.  If you want to play with other parameters that
could effect transfer efficiency depending upon the speed of your link,
propagation-delay ETC, then fiddle with things like TCP winow-size, MSS,
(though, I don't know why you'd want to play with that either), and other
things like that.

You'd only ever want to change MTU if you're on a link using PPPOE (which I
use), and then the MTU is 1456 bytes or something like that; that's a bit
more overhead per packet, but that's the price you pay.  If you're on a
slow modem link, MTU might be set lower, to speed up response when you're
doing other things on the link, but those are some of the reasons you'd
want to adjust MTU.

Brian Borowski