debian /var/lock permissions

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Fri Mar 22 15:52:00 EST 2002

Hi,
Each group represents root, user and world in that order.  Of course
each bit represents a permission.  The permissions are in the same order
as what you would see when you did a 'ls -l' command i.e. read, write,
execute.
Therefore a 7 would mean read, write and execute permissions for that
particular group.

An example would be: chmod 774 myfile.txt.
In this case root would have read, write and execute permissions.  So
would the owner of the file.  All others would have only read
permissions.

     Jim Wantz