Report from CSUN

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Mar 22 10:29:03 EST 2002

Dear Friends:

The news here is very good. Exciting technologies will be in our hands by
autumn. Let me elaborate just a little.

Sun Micro sponsored an entire day of sessions on the work in progress to
make the GNOME desktop accessible. These sessions, held yesterday, where
very well attended. Upwards of 150 people attended the opening overview
session and the closing open discussion. Here's a quick rundown of what we
learned:

GNOME 2.0, which is a major rewrite of GNOME in all respects, not just
accessibility, is slated to ship late summer.
Sun will ship their version shortly after. They're saying September. It
will contain the accessibility api, Gnopernicus with speech, braille, and
magnification support, an and an onscreen keyboard which had some of the
folks with motor disabilities very excited. The gnopernicus demo used
ViaVoice, though Sun's FreeTTS will be shipped with GNOME. Thomas
Friehoff, Baum Retec AG
explained that gnopernicus work has only been ongoing since November.
Baum took it on because they did not feel they could do anything on
Windows any longer because the Windows market was saturated and dominated
by just a few companies. Baum's first problem, therefore, was coming up
to speed with linux/solaris programming. They also had to think hard
about the GPL  because this was novel thinking to them. They're now fully
behind it;

Anyone who wants to play with this technology now is welcome to do so.
Be advised, though, that it's not stable, and you will need to build and
install GNOME 2.0 by hand from the CVS tree;

Messaging between the various libraries involved is being achieved through
XML. Among other advantages, this will enable gnopernicus to support
speech and braille in many languages almost immediately;

Sun announced two development teams now at work on applications. Nine
people have been tasked to add accessibility into Mozilla, but no
availability date was offered. Likewise, a team is at work adding
accessibility to StarOffice/OpenOffice, again with no ship date yet;

Among other things, I asked about support for smooth interaction among
this new technology and those existing, console based technologies that
many of us will certainly continue to use in many ways. I learned that one
of the chief programmers working at Sun on the accessibility API uses
speakup to write the api, and expects he will continue to use speakup for
programming even after gnopernicus is available. Marc Mulcahy committed to
write necessary drivers to support speakup under GNOME.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG