question

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 22 02:36:52 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Igor Gueths wrote:

> Hi. Sorry about all the posts, but I'm updating information as I
> figure things out. If anyone wants me to change the thread, please let
> me know. I got ifup to configure my linksys card, and I get an Ip
> address. However, it diesn't seem that its using tha gateway
> 192.168.0.1 specified in /etc/network/interfaces. Also, it doesn't
> seem to be using the nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf. In fact, Lynx
> can't resolve google.com because of this. I also restarted the inetd
> and init processes. Am I missing something here as far as
> configuration goes? Thanks in advance!

Hmmm,
Well, first of all, I assume you are using a Redhat system.  I don't know
a lot about those as I use Slackware here, but you need to ensure that
somewheere in your startup scripts is a line to bring up the interface
using ifconfigensuring that it either specifies the ip address of your
gateway, or references a shell variable which has been previously defined
in the script.  Also, although I have not found any documentary support
for this, I have found, for some reason, that ip addresses in the
192.168.0 subnet seem to present problems, i.e. they do not seem to be
recognised in certain circumstances.  This may not be correct, and is
merely anecdotal on my part, but just in case, I always use 192.168.1.0/24
network instead, just to be safe.

In addition, I believe I can shed some light on your dns problem.  The
file /etc/resolve.conf is not what you need, note the spelling.  The file
is in /etc but is r e s o l v dot c o n f, not r e s o l v e dot c o n f.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808