exporting the display doesn't work again

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Mon Mar 18 15:36:11 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm really puzzled, and somewhat frustrated. I just had to reboot, it was partly an accident. Well, after things came up, I exported the DISPLAY variable again just like Johan said, and when running things like xterm or wine, I'm again told that the display cannot be opened. Surprised, I ran "xon localhost", and was told that the connection to the server had been refused. Even more puzzled, I got my firewall, hosts.deny and hosts.allow out of the way, unplugged my network, and rebooted. However, I still got the same stuff. Naturally, I moved the 3 files back into place, rebotted, and plugged in my network (I am sending this e-mail now afterall (grin)). Does anyone know where I can start looking for the problem? If I did anything important befor that first reboot I mentioned, I have no idea what it was. Please, please help. This is starting to get annoying, I am sorry if I'm starting to sound winy and annoying too (helpless shrug). Thanks.
Greg